Thursday, May 9, 2013

Meeting Jamie

Yesterday Jamie came over to our house after school.  Brittney wasn't home yet.  I was tempted to tell her to leave but she asked to come inside to talk to me.  My curiosity got the best of me and I agreed.  We sat in the kitchen and I offered her something to eat, which she declined.  She told me that she really likes Brittney and that they're girlfriends and that I shouldn't worry about them.  I wasn't sure what this meant but I immediately reached for and lit a cigarette.  When she saw me doing this Jamie asked if she could have one as well.  She apologized for being the influence that got Brittney to start and admitted that she gave her the 'B' lighter as a gift.  She had her own box, same brand.  I said it was fine.

Before she could continue I warned her about kissing Brittney and told her Britts was too young for all that.  She listened.  Then she brought up the dance.  She and Brittney really want to go together.  At that point Brittney came home.  She wasn't surprised to see Jamie at the house and sat right next to her.  I could tell they were holding hands under the table.  When you're young it may be cute to share your friend's cigarette but as adult it looks gross.  This is not how I imagined my talk with her first significant other would be: one table, two girls, and all three of us very uncertain about what to say.  At this point I was speechless.  I don't know what I can do about the dance and I'm not sure if I want her going to a dance with a date, regardless of their gender, but if I mention this it'll come out wrong.  The dance is still a ways off so I told them I'd think about it.  Jamie and Brittney headed off to her room to talk.  I told them to keep the door open and a safe distance between them.  And no smoking in the bedroom: I have to draw the line somewhere.

Kaitlyn came home a few minutes later.  She started right up to her room but I stopped her and told her we had to talk.  I asked how school was going and she just looked at me and stared.  Then I asked how she was doing and what was new in her life.  She looked like she was going to cry but said all was well.  That's when I noticed her hair was shorter than I remember, and we hadn't been to the hairdresser in a while.  She admitted to trimming her own hair.  And it was straighter, too.  Her soft curls were gone.  Her friends had helped her straighten it out, she said.  Kaitlyn had changed her looks and personality over the past few weeks and I somehow missed it.  As she walked away she asked if I wouldn't smoke in the house anymore because she doesn't like the smell.  I guess Brittney and I can stick to the porch.  Or my bedroom,

Only four days until tryouts.  I've got to get them all refocused.

2 comments:

  1. No smoking in the house, ever. And allowing someone else's kid to smoke in the house, as well as your 12 year old...what's going on with you??? Soccer used to be everything. It was clearly more important than your marriage. you are rolling over and allowing your marriage to die. No fight, no nothing??? And how could a self professed soccer mom be ok with a smoking 12 year old. I'm disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try and be a better mother and friend.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete