Saturday, May 18, 2013

Blog Epilogue

First of all I want to thank anyone who took the time to read this over the past 10 months.  I started this blog as an experiment to see if I could write down some hopefully funny stories about crazy sports parents.  I didn't know how long it would last or how many people would read it.  As of today there have been more than 80,000 page hits spread out over 10 months and over 25 countries, When I started I thought it might last 2-3 months and end up with about 1,000 hits if lucky.  It clearly exceeded my expectations.

The people mentioned in the blog aren't real.  They're based on people I've met over the years at youth sporting events.  Most of the stories or themes in here are either true or based on some true story - not all, but most.  If you have kids in youth sports then hopefully you can somehow relate to them.  And sadly, as a somewhat truly reasonable sports parent myself, I saw myself relating to some of these crazy storylines.  It made me take a step back from my kids sports.  I yell less and cheer more at their games nowadays.

The blog is really divided into two sections; the first 9 months (Aug. 2012 - April 2013) and the last month (May 2013).  I hadn't planned it this way.  To be honest I hadn't planned for this entire blog to last more than a handful of weeks when I began writing.  However in April I ran out of stories.  I really wanted the blog to go through the May tryout period but was struggling to come up with any storylines to carry me there.  And I had 'mailed in' a few posts in March and April which I wasn't happy about.

So in May I decided to take this in a different direction.  I knew I wouldn't continue writing past this month so I made a decision to 'blow it up'. Instead of going through the May tryouts, watching the kids make and not make various clubs and the usual drama, and then living happily ever-after, etc. I wanted this to truly end.  I decided to take this family to a place where there was just no going back.  A place were I could say 'this is the end, period'.  And while different, and less light-hearted, it's been incredibly fun writing the May storyline and these last few weeks worth of posts.

There have been over 250 comments left by readers.  I kept the vast majority of them, only deleting about 10 which I somehow deemed inappropriate.  Also, I tried hard to be 'consistent' and 'accurate', for lack of better words.  Coming up with names for each girl on the roster, storylines pertaining to these girls, being consistent with other teams and their performance, making sure the number of wins for each team tied out to what I wrote down for individual game results, and so on.  That was harder than anticipated.

Thanks again for reading it.  If you have questions leave them in the 'comments' section of this post and I'll reply to them.

35 comments:

  1. It has been fun. Thank you for the enjoyable reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! It's been really funny. Many parents take youth soccer way too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the chuckles. My favorite part was Brittney giving her headbands out after the game. And the early commenters that didn't pick up the sarcasm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls still joke about this every time we buy headbands. In fact my "Cole" even jokes about it, since he wears headbands in game as well. Very entertaining and sad to see it self destruct! I enjoyed the ride though!

      Delete
  4. This is the only blog I have bookmarked, and I read it with a laugh! As a soccer/sports parent, and an English teacher, I was very impressed with the intricacies of your writing. Thanks for the laughs...then the dropping hammer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what I will do next season! I will miss this blog so much! Thanks for helping me laugh at myself and reel me back to sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whaaa??? This wasn't for real?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a question -- are you male or female? Soccer Mom, or Soccer Dad?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't believe you. You are the team mom on my daughters team, is that you?? You don't have to lie and come up with a fake story....j/k

    I was sent this blog a while back and came to read it nightly like a favorite novel. It reminds of many that I have encountered in my soccer parent career. It also makes me not want to be "that person". Thanks for the blog that I will try truly miss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading and bookmarked it also. As a multi-sports mom myself, I could relate to a lot of the references. Your writing is very fluent and I was impressed that it was, for the most part, typo-free. Did you sometimes write your own comments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lack of a lot of typos is due to the fact that I wrote many entries in Word and copied them here.

      As for comments, I never even thought of writing one myself. My greatest comment dilemma was deciding to delete a few that I thought were inappropriate. It was the right thing to do but I didn't like the idea of my censoring others' comments.

      Delete
    2. No, the comments you are referring to were mine. For some reason people thought my comments were the original blogger's comments.

      I am a real Soccer Mom, very much like the one portrayed in this blog, and proud of it...

      Delete
  11. Nooooooo!!! You made me feel sane. Oh don't stop writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will never speak to you again.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me three.

    Valeria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Strange, I always thought this blog was part 2 of http://diaryofatravelteamcoach.blogspot.com. Regardless, I had a blast reading this, and all the comments too. Many times, they were equally as entertaining. Best of luck and hopefully we'll see your work again soon. BTW, did the comments ever influence your stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comments did influence the story but only at the end. I usually had about 1-3 weeks worth of advance story written at any point in time. However that changed when I started May, and I did look at some of the comments to see where I could take it.

      Delete
  15. Can anyone guess what soccer club this blog is based on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in northern California where it could be one of a dozen! This has been a fun read for me although uncomfortable as well since it reminded me of so many people that I see each weekend! Thanks for all of the time you put into it. :-)

      Delete
    2. Myrtle Beach Soccer MomMay 21, 2013 at 11:14 PM

      Are you serious? Is it really written about Coast FA, in the Myrtle Beach area? If so, I know you. I have to. You used my daughters name as one of your characters....and my name as a parent. Wow.....now I'm dying to know who this is.

      Delete
    3. Wait - CoastFA? You left off how CoastFA stacked the entire Spring Tournament with AllStar teams and let kids play down in age to "round out" the teams. That tourney was a JOKE this year.

      Delete
  16. Yup, CASL for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to see you go! I was on the Board of our club for several years, and it all rings so true . . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. please do tell us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Myrtle Beach Soccer MomMay 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM

    Hey, where did all the posts go???? I started a new job a few months ago and just have not had the time to read. I can't find the archives anywhere. I'm dying to know how it ended....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Please bring back the archives, I've not finished reading yet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really miss this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sooo sad this is "over."
    Make plans for next season! See you in July?????

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's been just over a month since you went away! We read the blog every night during dinner as a family and would just hoot and howl. We miss it so much. It was a great way to to end our day, spark discussion on "how crazy is too crazy", how "you" spoke of Cole and didn't support his baseball dreams...we really had some great bonding time around this blog. We miss you terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just wanted to say thanks Soccer Mom. I would read your journal with baited breath, almost cringing before I began reading. Much like passing a horrible car wreck. :-) if you ever decide to write another blog please come back here and give us the website. You are a very talented and gifted writer and made me laugh out loud many times. I miss Erma Bombeck and Lewis Grizzard. You are cut from the same cloth.

    Thanks for the laughs.

    Oh no! Does this mean your twitter account isn't real either? :-)

    ReplyDelete